Popular Posts

Wednesday 11 July 2012

Wedding Words


   While the most memorable wedding words are “I do,” there are other words spoken at a marriage service that equally important.  In my circles they are known as the “wedding text,” a verse or two from the Bible that the pastor uses to craft a short talk for the benefit of the bride and groom as well as the guests in attendance.
   The wedding text of my paternal grandparents was prominently displayed in their home, and my grandmother always said it was her favourite.  Psalm 119:105 states
 “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.”  These were not just pious words for one day in May of 1935.  My grandparents looked to God’s word daily for direction, reading a portion of Scripture to accompany their meals.
   The text my parents chose for their wedding was often quoted in my growing up years.  But even if it hadn’t been, I would have seen it modeled consistently.  Proverbs 3:6 says, “In all your ways acknowledge him [the Lord] and he shall direct your paths.”  Their path of life has not always been easy, but through it all they sensed his guidance because they were aware of his importance in everything.
   My husband and I chose as our wedding verse 1 John 1:7: “If we walk in the light as he is in the light we have peace with God and fellowship with one another.”  Walking with God brings peace and fellowship, and this is what we want more than anything else in the world.  A wedding text can become a “vision statement” for a husband and wife, something to always aim for and come back to when priorities have become distorted.
   If you never had a church wedding or the words the preacher spoke have faded from memory, it is not too late for you to seek out a passage that expresses how you want to live out your marriage from this point on.  Don’t miss out on the richness of God’s Word to infuse your life with new purpose and direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.