Popular Posts

Wednesday 23 April 2014

Stove-top Apple Dessert


   I never know what to call this dessert.  I never encountered it until my husband requested I make "apple dumplings" for dessert.  I searched my cookbooks and found a recipe with this name.  It involved wrapping apple slices inside pastry and included a generous cinnamon sauce.  I made it and presented it with a smile. While my husband enjoyed it he did tell me it was not the kind of apple dumplings he meant.

   I had to go to the source, his mother who had made this dessert during his growing up years.  When I sized up the method of preparation, I began calling it apples with dumplings.  The apples are cooked in a saucepan, and muffin-like batter is set on top to resemble dumplings.  No matter what it's called, I can see why my husband likes it.  Here is the recipe in case you'd like to try it as well

Part 1:
In a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup margarine.  Stir in 1/2 cup brown sugar and 3 Tbsp flour.  Add 1.5 cups of water while stirring and cook until thickened. Add 4 cups chopped or grated apple and 1 Tbsp lemon juice. Remove from heat.

Part 2:
In a bowl, sift together 1 cup flour, 1.5 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cinnamon.  Add 1/2 cup brown sugar.  In a measuring cup, combine 1 beaten egg, 1/4 cup milk and 2 Tbsp melted margarine.  Add wet ingredients to the dry ones.  Drop by spoonfuls onto the apple mixture.  Return pan to the stove and bring to a boil at medium heat.  Simmer at reduced heat for 20 minutes.  Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.