Popular Posts

Thursday 5 March 2015

Who Can Say This, Part 1

   Last weekend I went to a symphony concert that incorporated the music of the duo Simon and Garfunkel through two gentlemen who performed their music in a similar style. It was a tribute to the musical talent of Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel who found success during the late 1960's until they parted ways in 1970.
   Their most popular album "Bridge Over Troubled Water" sold over 25 million copies, and it is about this title track that I'd like to reflect for a few moments.  (These lyrics come by way of  the MetroLyrics website.)

When you're weary, feeling small
When tears are in your eyes, I'll dry them all (all)
I'm on your side, oh, when times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you (ooo)
I'll take your part, oh, when darkness comes
And pain is all around
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

   The words of this song are uplifting.  They give us a picture of someone who promises to be ultimately loyal, no matter what else may happen.  When there are no other friends, this speaker will be the friend who goes the extra mile.  Whenever there are tears and hurts, this speaker will comfort and be there.
   Who can truly say this to another human being?  Even the most loyal person cannot dry every tear we cry.  Furthermore, spouses are not constantly in our presence.  Who actually sits with the person on the street and comforts them and never leaves their side?  I realize the lyricist is using hyperbole, an exaggeration to make a point about the depth of his love for someone.  As humans we long for the promises made in this song to be authentic, to be experienced so as to have serenity and security.
   We have heard stories of ultimate loyalty, such as the sisters of Charity who give their presence to the hurting and dying.  We also have the account of an especially tender-hearted man, J. Robertson McQuilkin, who left a prestigious job as president of Columbia Bible College to care for the needs of his wife who suffered from Alzheimer's disease.
   However, the only one who can truly say and mean these lyrics are the Triune God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  God's presence with those who trust in Him never fades.  Furthermore, Jesus is the ultimate bridge, who laid down his life so that our "light and momentary troubles [will achieve] for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all" (2 Corinthians 4:17). 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.